MIC29302 – LDO Voltage Regulator – (SMD TO-263 Package)
The MIC2930x are high current, high accuracy, low dropout voltage regulators. Using Microchip’s proprietary Super βeta PNP process with a PNP pass element, these regulators feature 350 mV to 425 mV (full load) typical dropout voltages and very low ground current. Designed for high current loads, these devices also find applications in lower current, extremely low dropout-critical systems, where their tiny dropout voltage and ground current values are important attributes.
The MIC2930x are fully protected against overcurrent faults, reversed input polarity, reversed lead insertion, over temperature operation, and positive and negative transient voltage spikes. Five pin fixed-voltage versions feature logic level ON/OFF control and an error flag that signals whenever the output falls out of regulation. Flagged states include low input voltage (dropout), output current limit, over temperature shutdown, and extremely high voltage spikes on the input. On the MIC29xx1 and MIC29xx2, the ENABLE pin may be tied to VIN if it is not required for ON/OFF control. The MIC2930x are available in 3-pin and 5-pin TO-220 and surface mount TO-263 (D2Pak) packages.
A voltage regulator is a system designed to automatically maintain a constant voltage level. A voltage regulator may use a simple feed-forward design or may include negative feedback. It may use an electromechanical mechanism, or electronic components. Depending on the design, it may be used to regulate one or more AC or DC voltages.
A low-dropout or LDOregulator is a DC linear voltage regulator that can regulate the output voltage even when the supply voltage is very close to the output voltage.
The advantages of a low dropout voltage regulator over other DC to DC regulators include the absence of switching noise (as no switching takes place), smaller device size (as neither large inductors nor transformers are needed), and greater design simplicity (usually consists of a reference, an amplifier, and a pass element).
- High Current Capability: 3A
- Low Dropout Voltage
- Low Ground Current
- Accurate 1% Guaranteed Tolerance
- Extremely Fast Transient Response
- Reverse-Battery and “Load Dump” Protection
- Zero-Current Shutdown Mode (5-Pin Versions)
- Error Flag Signals Output Out-of-Regulation (5-Pin Versions)
- Also Characterized for Smaller Loads with Industry-Leading Performance Specifications
- Fixed-Voltage and Adjustable Versions
- Battery-Powered Equipment
- High-Efficiency Green Computer Systems
- Automotive Electronics
- High-Efficiency Linear Power Supplies
- High-Efficiency Post-Regulator for Switching Supply